Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Wikileak: Shabaz Sharif Tipped Off LeT Before UN Sanctions

Shahbaz, are we now caught?!?
Pakistan‘s president alleged that the brother of Pakistan’s opposition leader, Nawaz Sharif, “tipped off” the militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) about impending UN sanctions following the 2008 Mumbai attacks, allowing the outfit to empty its bank accounts before they could be raided.
Six weeks after LeT gunmen killed more than 170 people in Mumbai, President Asif Ali Zardari told the US of his “frustration” that Sharif’s government in Punjab province helped the group evade new UN sanctions.
A month earlier, Shahbaz Sharif, who is chief minister of Punjab, “tipped off” the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD), LeT’s charity wing, “resulting in almost empty bank accounts”, Zardari claimed in a conversation with the US ambassador to Islamabad, Anne Patterson.
US diplomats were unable to confirm the allegation and noted that they came at a time of rising political tension between Zardari and Sharif. But they conceded that JuD did appear to have received a warning from somewhere. “Information from the ministry of the interior does indicate that bank accounts contained surprisingly small amounts,” said the cable in January 2009. A Punjab government spokesman vigorously denied the charge. “There’s nothing true in it,” said senator Pervaiz Rashid, an adviser to Sharif. “Zardari is our political opponent and he wants to topple our government.” Sharif couldn’t have known about the UN sanctions, he said, because the UN co-ordinated its action with the federal government and not the provincial one.
The accusation, which has never been publicly aired, is one of several dramas that unfolded behind the scenes after the November 2008 attacks, now revealed by the embassy cables.
US diplomats and CIA spies found themselves playing the role of harried intermediaries to prevent Pakistan and India from going to war. One week after the bloodbath an Indian official said his government was distinguishing between Pakistan’s civilian government, “which India believed was not involved in the attacks”, and the Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI). We are not yet ready to give ISI a clean chit,” he said.
Four weeks later the US embassy grew alarmed by Indian plans to release a “sanitised” intelligence dossier that, they feared, could scupper intelligence sharing or thwart efforts to prevent a second attack.
“There are still Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) sleeper and other cells in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan, as well as many law enforcement leads which need to be pursued,” the note said.
Pakistan’s generals, usually antagonistic towards India, appeared unusually conciliatory. Six weeks after the attack Pakistan’s army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, said he was “determined to exercise restraint in his actions with India”. “If there is any clue about another attack,” he told General David Petraeus at his Rawalpindi headquarters, “please share it with us.”
His intelligence chief, General Shuja Pasha, went even further, acting as a regional fixer for some of his most bitter enemies. In late 2009 Pasha travelled to Oman and Iran to “follow up on reports he received in Washington about a terrorist attack on India“.
He sent warnings to Israel – a country that Pakistan does not officially recognise – “about information about attacks against Israeli targets in India”. Earlier in the year, he reminded Patterson, information about a second attack on India had “come his way”, which he conveyed to Delhi via the CIA.
The cables suggest Pakistan’s ardour for bringing the alleged Mumbai masterminds to justice appears to have wilted as time went on. The secretive trial of Lashkar leader Zakhi ur Rehman Lakhvi and six other suspects “is proceeding, though at a slow pace”, US diplomats noted in February.
The secretive trial of Lashkar leader Zakhi ur Rehman Lakhvi, and six other suspects “is proceeding, though at a slow pace” last in February 2010.
ThePakistan’s Inter-Service Intelligence agency (ISI) refused access to Abdur Rehman Syed, a retired army major and alleged LeT accomplice. Instead the FBI was told it could “submit questions for Syed through the ISI”.
American officials say there is “no smoking gun tying the Mumbai LeT operation to ISI” but are less sure if the spy agency has, as promised, cut all its ties.
“Despite arrests of key LeT/JuD leaders and closure of some of their camps, it is unclear if the ISI has finally abandoned its policy of using these proxy forces as a foreign policy tool,” notes a briefing to the US special envoy Richard Holbrooke in February 2009. Dealing with LeT has long been a vexed issue for American diplomats in Pakistan. In March 2006 the US ambassador Ryan Crocker requested the US government to delay by two weeks the designation of JuD.
American helicopters were still delivering aid to earthquake victims in Kashmir, he explained, and they risked attack if still in the area when the designation was approved.
That same month, embassy officials met with Pakistan foreign office director Tasneem Aslam, who told her that Pakistan had “no evidence” linking JuD to terrorism – a conclusion US officials judged “dubious”.
Later, in November 2007, the US ambassador presented the foreign secretary, Riaz Khan, with evidence that senior government ministers were publicly helping militant groups, including a declaration from the ministry of defence parliamentary secretary “that he was proud to be a member of LeT and that he seeks to extend support to jihadi organisations when they seek his ‘co-operation.’”
“Each of these reports is disturbing in itself, the ambassador said, as they seriously damage Pakistan’s image in the international community.”
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/01/wikileaks-cables-mumbai-attacks-sanctions

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Nawaz Sharif Sold Pakistani Citizen To USA

 Lahore High Court Tuesday issued notice to the government over a petition pleading for reopening of the case about handing over of Aimal Kansi to United States. Aimal Kansi, a native of Quetta, was given death sentence in United States. A division bench of LHC summoned the Attorney General and Advocate General Punjab over a petition filed by Barrister Javed Iqbal Jaffery, which said that Aimal Kansi was illegally handed over to United States for cash during the Nawaz Sharif government.

Source: LHC issues notice to govt in Aimal Kansi case 

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Sharifs are defaulters of nine Pakistani banks

* PML-Q president says PML-N leaders threatened Hamesh Khan after he refused to sanction their loan
* Kamil Ali Agha says Monis Elahi has not fled country after Hamesh’s arrest, will return next week

LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain on Sunday alleged that the Sharif brothers had defaulted on nine Pakistani banks and had given death threats to Hamesh Khan after he refused to sanction a loan of Rs 500 million to them during his tenure as the president of the Bank of Punjab (BOP).
Addressing a press conference along with other party leaders, including PML-Q Secretary Information Kamil Ali Agha and Chaudhry Zaheeruddin, he said no PML-Q leader owned any property or asset outside of the country, adding that the party did not have foreign bank accounts like the “corrupt leadership of the ruling party in Punjab”.
A fresh bank statement was also distributed in the press conference, in which it was claimed that the Sharif brothers’ Ittefaq Group was a defaulter of the BoP, National Bank, Habib Bank, United Bank, Muslim Commercial Bank, Punjab Mudarba Bank, Agriculture Development Bank, PICIC and ICP. The PML-Q leaders also read a statement by Hamesh Khan that was filed in the US Department of State, through his lawyers, which said that Punjab Chief Minsiter Shahbaz Sharif had pressurised him (Hamesh) to establish him as an approver against former chief minister Ch Pervaiz Elahi and his son Monis Elahi. They said that Hamesh, the main accused in the BoP and Haris Steel Mills case, had also declared Pervaiz Elahi and Monis Elahi as “neat and clean personalities” because they had not used any unfair means to make money and were not defaulters of any bank, adding that after Hamesh’s statement, the “real faces of defaulters and looters of the national exchequer had been exposed”.
“The Sharif brothers want to establish connections between Hamesh and the Elahi family, but Hamesh’s statement has rendered any such plans a failure,” Shujaat said. Kamil Ali Agha, addressing the press conference, said that the Punjab CM, along with his two sons, Hamza and Salman, had wanted to obtain a loan of $8 million from the BoP, but Hamesh did not sanction the loan. “In response, they threatened and later started police raids at his home… they even threatened his wife,” he said. Return: To a question, Shujaat said that Monis Elahi had not run away from the country after Hamesh was arrested and that “he was on a personal tour and would return to the country next week”.

Source: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\05\17\story_17-5-2010_pg7_9